Two of Canada’s most exciting young ensembles – classical string band collectif9 and percussion quartet Architek – make their WNMF debuts, coming from Montreal to co-present the Manitoba premiere of My Backyard, Somewhere. The text, by Montreal novelist and sound performer Kaie Kellough, is a poetic “migration” through words and places. The music is a journey through the styles of five multi-disciplinary and multi-genre composers from across Canada. Beginning with the textures real-world sounds in the music of Derek Charke, we pass through the lyricism and imagery of Luna Pearl Woolf, the groove of Bret Higgins, the electronic pulse of Eliot Britton, and an imaginative foray into the technologies of pop culture with Nicole Lizée.
- Luna Pearl Woolf But I Digress...
- Bret Higgins The Cargo of Consonants / among, within, beneath, atop
- Derek Charke the world is itself a cargo carried
- Eliot Britton Backyard Blocks
- Nicole Lizée Folk Noir/Canadiana
6:45PM | Piano Nobile
collectif9; Architek Percussion;
Eliot Britton, composer;
Harry Stafylakis, host